Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Just Peachie"

Tony and I got back from our trip to Austin Tuesday night around 9:30 pm. At that time our sister in law Dale picked us up from the airport and let us know that mom had peaches at her house that would need to be picked up that night due to the hot weather planned for the next day. The Roley's picked over 900 lbs. from their trees, and they were concerned that they would all go bad if people wouldn't take advantage of them, so we got home long enough to drop off our suitcases, open up the house, then go to moms. Without feeling to greedy we took some boxes to fill the back of my car, still leaving allot behind. The next day however I stopped on the way home from work to find there were more that no one wanted, so I brought them home as well. That set the plan of what we would be doing for the next three days after work.

The final count ended up as 70 Qts. ,
34 pts. , 47 jars of jelly, 9 Qts. of peach nectar, 1 cobbler and 2 peach pies in the freezer. We still have a couple of dozen fresh to eat on cereal or by them self in the fridge. With the pantry shelves filled it is very exciting as well as rewarding to see the results of our efforts.

We have since gone and picked pears to can that the Morse's said were just falling to the ground. I hate to see food go to waste, and when it is free I feel like I need to do my part to preserve it. The Lord has truly blessed us once again. Now the trick is to figure out how to share this with each of the kids.

1 comment: